In the interest of health and safety, given the current increased spread of COVID-19 in our community, all STRIVE Prep schools will remain in remote learning through the end of the first quarter, October 16.
We believe that making a decision to go remote during the first quarter allows our teachers to plan the best possible program for your children, and allows you to plan thoughtfully without uncertainty for what is to come.
We learned a lot during remote learning in the spring and have used the summer time to plan for a stronger remote learning model for your children this fall.
Here are the promises we intend to keep throughout the remote learning model:
- Your child will start the school year prepared with the materials they need to learn remotely for the entire quarter. Each of our campuses will be distributing Chromebooks and necessary academic supplies (books for ELA, lab materials for science, etc.) the week before learning begins (August 17-21). If you need internet access, we will provide it.
- Your child will have clear expectations for rigorous work. Our schools will run 3-5 hours of live, virtual instruction via video chat every day. Those classes will be structured similarly to in-person instruction, and students will have rigorous work to complete. These classes will also be recorded, so students can engage with them on a flexible schedule if your family requires it.
- Your child will get all of the support we can provide. Even when students cannot make it to live classes, teachers will be available during “office hours” to support them. And we will provide mental health services to all students who need them.
- Your child will receive specific supports related to their IEP, 504 Plan, or Emergent Bilingual services. We will provide comprehensive services in all of these areas, from your Special Education teachers and English Language Development teachers at your child’s school.
- Your child will experience the joy that comes with being a STRIVE Prep student. Whole-school gatherings and celebrations will be a feature of your student’s experience with school (remotely, of course). Students will be celebrated for their achievements and connected to each other and their schools in new ways that are only possible when learning remotely.
- As parents, you will always have a direct line to the school. We will be consistently responsive to parent needs and inquiries even if we are not at buildings in-person. If you call the school, you will get a call back within 24 hours 100% of the time.
More Information to Come!
Look for additional information from your schools and teachers.
We will also continue to put remote learning information here.
Supporting your Child with Remote Learning
We understand this transition to remote learning can be stressful and challenging. Our goal is to support you and your child as much as possible with this new learning environment.
Here are some ways that you can support your student with remote learning:
- Make sure they have a quiet place to work.
- Make sure they have access to working internet, and contact the school if you need any support with this.
- Help them create a daily schedule that allows for at least 4 hours of school work time.
- Maintain breaks such as snacks and movement throughout the day. Time for unstructured activities in between class work is also encouraged!
Additional Support Resources
- Students will learn how to use new learning tools with support from their teachers. Parents are welcome to join those sessions as well!
- Teachers will be communicating with students regularly through their STRIVE Prep email account. Students should check their school email account at least three times a day at the beginning, middle, and end of the day.
- If your student is sick and cannot complete their work that day, please contact your student’s school at the main number.